Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A POEM BY BULLEH SHAH: MY BELOVED AS COME HOME

Banish the timekeeper, my beloved has come home, my precious one!
    Again and again the time keeper strikes the gong,
    Diminishing this night of our union.
    Were he to look into my heart,
    Himself, he would fling it away.
    The unheard music plays majestically.
    The singer accomplished in rhythm and measure.
    Forgotten are my prayers
    As the distiller gives me plentiful wine.
    At the wondrous sight of his face,
    All my sorrows vanished.
    The night marches on. How can I extend it?
    O build a wall against the day!

    I have lost myself.
    I can not remember when I was wedded.
    It is not possible to hide,
    This complete grace that is upon me.
    Many magic spells were cast,
    Magicians came, big and small.
    Now that my beloved is home,
    I will remain with him for a hundred thousand years.
    Says Bullah Shah, in this beloved bed
    I have crossed over to the other side.
    Finally, my turn came,
    Separation is no longer possible.
    Banish the timekeeper, my beloved has
    come home, my precious one.

No comments:

Post a Comment